CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My body and me..

Here's the thing. I know I'm supposed to love myself for who I am. The problem is, I don't. I have a very hard time viewing myself as someone who is attractive. Even though plenty of people have told me so, I don't believe them. Why? Because I know the real truth of what I look like without clothes, and folks it isn't pretty. Besides it's always relatives and friends who tell you, how nice you look etc. Here's a clue: These people have to say that. They are your friends, they don't want you to feel bad.

So it won't come as a huge surprise when I announce that I have a rather large issue with my body image. That is why I'm writing this blog. I thought if I wrote how I feel, maybe, 1. it wouldn't seem so bad since I would be getting the emotions out and not keeping them inside, kind of like therapy, and 2. maybe by writing this other people who have this problem can relate and realize that they aren't alone.

I know this is a big issue among women. And it's not surprising, in this age of technology. The way the media bombards us with their idea of the perfect (yet highly unattainable) vision of beauty is shameful. No wonder eating disorders are on the rise, and children as young as nine start their first diets. Absolutely incredible. Women should not be made to feel they are ugly, just because they don't look like a supermodel. I'm starting to wonder if the diet industry isn't directly linked with the fashion industry. It makes perfect sense. The fashion world promotes women and clothes that are unachievable by the average woman and the diet industry reaps the benefits as millions pour money into their services in order to be skinny. Tell me there isn't a connection somewhere.

Clearly something needs to be done, we cannot have a society that has nine year olds dieting and people becoming anorexic/bulimic, because they don't fit into a size zero.

For the moment though, check out www.mediawatch.com, they are a great site to check out how women are exploited and things you can do to help.

0 comments: